Friday 12 June 2009

Portfolio Evaluation

Reflect on your relationship between your portfolio of work and your creative ambitions as a designer.

My Portfolio shows a range of skills both using Type and Image. My main interest lies in Type and Layout, to show more about me and who I am as a designer I need to show more of this in my work over the summer I will be building my portfolio with more Type and Layout work to show my greater interest, but at times I do like to work with both image and type which I still would like to carry on with.

Relate your own work to specific areas of contemporary design.

I think that I have my own unique style, for inspiration I tend to look at other design blogs, flickr, Paper Cut Panic. A designer in particular whose work I follow is Domenic Lippa his typographic work has been an inspiration to me since a young age. Im always constantly looking around at billboards, posters, flyers for inspiration and get a rush of excitement when I see something that catches my eye, I like to collect typography to, and document it to look back to when I need it in my work.


Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses against identified intentions and areas of contemporary practice.

My strengths lie In Typography and Presentation for example presenting my work on boards and in photography. I have noticed that Im fairly confident when applying this skill in my work and not afraid to work with other ideas. Ive also noticed that I have become more interested in creating logo design and would like to carry on with this in third year along with magazine design. I have an interview for Ink publishing in London where they create all the in flight magazines and travel brochures, fingers crossed I get the placement here as I think it will really show if my heart lies in layout I am also looking forward to seeing what it is like to work in a professional enviroment so this is why I am going to Elmwood in London to visit and talk with the art directors.

Clarify areas of design, skills development and professional concerns you aim to investigate further from this point forward.

I want do develop my software skills further and work more on my layout skills in InDesign to help me improve my knowledge and skills for the field that I wish to go into so I feel more confident with it.

Briefly clarify the relationship between your creative practice and your proposed dissertation.

My dissertation is looking at how guerrilla advertising is more effective then mainstream advertising. I have a strong intrest in advertising and I am always looking around for inspiration mainly advertisiments to help me with my work. I want to furthur my knowledge in advertising so that it become more useful in my work that I produce next year.

No comments: