Wednesday 4 March 2009

Paper Cut Panic

BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN - Evaluation

Module Title Design: YCN KLEENEX Packaging Design

Level 02


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The skills I have learnt in this module is to focus on working as a team and to focus on who my audience is and how to get my message across using our personality and knowledge to create our pieces of work to create an impact. I have learnt to organise and plan the work that needs to be done for the week. I’ve also documented my work with every improvements and changes I have made and also photographing my products into context. For this module research was a big part of it and getting other peoples opinions so this was a big foucs to organise and document this well to help with idea generation ideas.

I have also noticed that I can communicate a little better and take time with my work to make it a quality piece for example the A3 boards they have helped bring my designs together to create as a set.
I tried packaging design for the first time where I have learnt and found new skills for that which I enjoyed doing but is something that I wouldnt focus on doing again.

2. What approaches to generating work and solutions to problems have you developed and how have they helped?

I have experimented a lot with colour, layout and type it has helped to show my improvements and to see what design is effective for my audience it also helps show the weaknesses and strengths in my designs. Regular crits and talking to piers about my designs have helped by getting good feedback and more focus on what I need to improve or carry on with.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The strengths in the briefs I think are my documentation, and research. These you see by my annotations and ongoing development design showing improvements along the process. I think the time management and planning shown in these briefs was something that needed to be improved on and communication with the partner. My designs created on a computer has improved a lot more and I have been using it a lot more with more confidence then I did before and it has helped with my work to create it more visual.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how could you exploit these more fully?

My weaknesses lie in time management as at the time it was a difficult stage as well it was difficult to communicate and plan with my partner to make sure we were doing the right work for that day or week, I think that maybe the documentation needs to be a bit more clearer at the end of it where I was trying to do a lot of things all at once.

5. Identify five things that you will do different next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

The first thing that I would do differently would be to collect more primary research to work from so I have a bit more inspiration to communicate with, create a time plan of what I need to do each night. Document more of my work on the blog so I can get feedback from other users it also helps when I put it on my blog to evaluate and annotate my work so I can get a clear understanding. I will also make sure I communicate more with my partner to make sure we are working at our best ability.


6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor


Attendance 3
Punctuality 3
Motivation 3
Commitment 3
Quantity of work produced 3
Quality of work produced 4
Contribution to the group 3

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.















No comments: